- Date: 6/22/2022
- Occasion: Lecture for the Center for Faith and Culture at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Media Type: Streaming Video
- Audience: Intermediate
- Kingdom Categories: Life of the Mind, Spiritual Formation
I enjoyed giving a lecture at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, bringing some philosophical tools to bear on how we think of Christian theological issues in anthropology and spiritual formation.
First, I lay out some metaphysical concepts to help explain what I understand a human person to be. Second, I present my understanding of what is the 'body' and the 'soul' and their interrelationship one to another. Third, I provide some application of my view to spiritual formation and growth, including how we can address anxiety and depression. I show how my view matters when reading scripture and understanding the important role of the body in spiritual formation practices.
Some highlighted sections:
- 10:34: On 'separable parts'
- 11:54: On 'substance'
- 24:29: On soul in the body
- 29:03: On spiritual practices
- 42:49: On presenting your brain to God
- 50:47: On whether there is any sin in the human soul
- 54:34: On what happens to the soul of an animal when it does
- 1:01:39: On higher brain function criterion.
- It provides some basic introduction to core metaphysical concepts.
- It models integration of philosophy, theology, and spiritual formation.
- It shows the relevance of philosophical anthropology to matters of Christian discipleship and spiritual practice.