Thinking Christianly Podcast on Metaphysics
- Date: 02/15/2023
- Occasion: Thinking Christianly podcast with Stan Wallace.
- Media Type: Streaming Audio
- Audience: Intermediate
- Kingdom Categories: Life of the Mind
What is real? This has been a defining question in our modern era. How should a thinking Christian answer this question? Stan Wallace and I describe the foundational beliefs and distinctions necessary for addressing this central issue in grace and truth.
Benefits: Important conversation on
- What is a property? What are some examples of properties? How is this question related to what truth is, the Incarnation, and so much more?
- Why is it not commonplace to assume properties exist? How underlying assumptions impact beliefs about what is real.
- What is a “universal”? How do we experience universals and why would a person reject them?
- What is the difference between physicalism and naturalism? How are they similar? What would people with these views of reality believe to be real?
- Why do some believers reject universals on theological grounds? Are they right?
- What is nominalism? What are the various types of nominalists?
- Why is it important to work hard at understanding ideas that don’t seem to have immediate practical value?