- Title: Finding Quiet: My Story of Overcoming Anxiety and the Practices that Brought Peace
- Publish Date: 05/07/2019
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Audience: Beginner
- Kingdom Categories: Life of the Mind, Power of the Kingdom, Spiritual Formation
Description: In May 2004, I awoke in the middle of the night to a severe panic attack. Though often anxious by temperament and upbringing, I had never experienced such an incident before. Thus began an extended battle with debilitating anxiety and depression.
More than a decade later, I continue to manage mental illness. Yet along the way I've moved from shame and despair to vulnerability and hope. In Finding Quiet, I tell my story and seek to come alongside fellow sufferers with encouragement and practical, hard-won advice. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, nearly 20 percent of Americans suffer from mental illness, and people in the pews are not immune.
My book explores the spiritual and physical aspects of mental illness, pointing readers toward sound sources of information, treatment, and recovery.
Browse Finding Quiet today!
Purchase Finding Quiet from these fine retailers, or wherever books are sold!
Related content: If Finding Quiet interests you, enjoy the following:
- 2020 Vineyard Anaheim discussion on Finding Quiet themes (interview)
- "Discussion with Kay Warren on Mental Health Issues" (interview)
- Finding Quiet 2019 Interviews and Reviews.
- "Anxiety and Mental Illness Labeling" (post)
- "How J.P. Moreland Presented His Anxious Mind to God" (interview).
- "2019 Finding Quiet: Vineyard Anaheim Interview" (audio).
- Lost Virtue of Happiness (book)
- In Search of a Confident Faith (book)
- "Mysticism, Awareness of God, and Postmodern Confusions" (article)
- "Christianity and Non-Empirical Knowledge" (article)
- "Discerning God's Voice (when God seems silent)" (video)
- Preview This Book
- Order Finding Quiet: My Story of Overcoming Anxiety and the Practices that Brought Peace
- It is a bracing and honest account of a public spokesperson for Jesus.
- It will validate the experiences of believers with mental illness.
- It will remind those with mental illness that they are not alone, and provide reassurance that they can not only survive but thrive again.
Table of Contents:
- “Provides us with wise and deeply personal insights into anxiety and depression. I highly recommend Finding Quiet.” —Richard J. Foster, author of Celebration of Discipline
- “A remarkable book of wisdom and practical steps that make it an invaluable resource.” —Sean McDowell, professor, speaker, author
- “A masterpiece of scholarship, transparency, compassion, and profound guidance for all who struggle with anxiety or depression.” —Lee Strobel, New York Times bestselling author
- “Finding Quiet doesn’t minimize depression or offer superficial solutions. Its well-researched ideas combine depth and practicality.” —Jan Johnson, author of When the Soul Listens
- “Finding Quiet will give readers genuine hope for dealing with their own anxiety and depression or helping others who face these challenges.” —Wayne Grudem, professor, Phoenix Seminary
- “A deeply moving, honest, and helpful resource . . . an excellent complement to the process of Christian counseling and psychotherapy.” —Gary W. Moon, author of Becoming Dallas Willard
- “An extremely vulnerable, raw, yet well-researched, biblical approach to practically replacing anxiety with the joy and peace God promises. Any Christ-follower who wants to grow in the experience of peace and joy will benefit from the spiritual formation path this book lays out.” —John Burke, pastor and New York Times bestselling author of Imagine Heaven and No Perfect People Allowed