What is the Soul and is it Real?
- Date: 10/28/2012
- Occasion: A lecture at First Evangelical Free Church of Fullerton, part of the Center for Christian Thought 2012 series on "Neuroscience and the Soul."
- Media Type: Downloadable Audio, Streaming Audio
- Audience: Advanced, Intermediate
- Kingdom Categories: Life of the Mind, Spiritual Formation
Is the soul just a metaphor? Is it more than figurative language that scripture and various religious traditions use as a kind of "spiritualizing" language to talk about that which is supernatural to being a human being? Can we even know that we have a soul? If so, how?
In less than 90 minutes, this talk - delivered for a general audience - seeks to make a coherent and compelling case for why we can know that we have a soul and what difference that makes for how we think about human beings and their dignity.
- "Mental vs. Top-Down Causation: Sic et Non" (video)
- "Naturalism, the Crisis of the Soul, and the Affects on Culture" (audio)
- "Brief Reflection on Neuroscience and the Soul" (article)
- "Conceptualist Argument for a Spiritual Substantial Soul" (article)
- "Bioethics, Substance Dualism and the Argument from Self-Awareness" (article)
- "Oppy on the Argument from Consciousness: A Rejoinder" (article)
- "Restoring the Substance to the Soul of Psychology" (article)
- "Intelligent Design Psychology and Evolutionary Psychology: A Comparison of Rival Paradigms" (article)
- "Intelligent Design Psychology and Evolutionary Psychology on Consciousness: Turning Water Into Wine" (article)
- Consciousness and the Existence of God (book)
- The Recalcitrant Imago Dei (book)
- Body & Soul (book)
- Christian Perspectives on Being Human (book)
- It will strengthen your confidence in the unique and good way that human beings have been made by God.
- It will show you with reasons to know and believe how to understand the nature of the soul.
- It provides a handy snapshot of J.P.'s work in this area.